Skip to main content
  • Brillenbär im Zoo Zürich.

    How much does a day the zoo cost?

    Every day, Zoo Zurich incurs costs in the amount of Fr. 120,000. We generate 88 per cent of the income to cover these costs ourselves - among other things with the sale of admissions, thanks to the income from the zoo restaurants and shops, and with the income from events and sponsorship. We receive the remaining 12 per cent of our income from subsidies from the city and canton of Zurich (Gemeinnütziger Fonds).

    Logo des Gemeinnützigen Fonds des Kantons Zürich.

    expenses per day

    • Staff: CHF 63'000.–
    • Maintenance & energy: CHF 19'000.–
    • Purchasing of goods restaurants & shops: CHF 17'000.–
    • Visitor service, advertising & education: CHF 9000.–
    • Administration: CHF 5000.–
    • Research & conservation: CHF 4000.–
    • Animal food & veterinary care: CHF 3000.–
    • Total: CHF 120'000.–

    All figures rounded to CHF 1000.–

    Revenue per day

    • Restaurants & shops: CHF 59'000.–
    • Adminissions: CHF 56'000.–
    • Subsidies city & canton of Zurich: CHF 18'000.–
    • Events, sponsoring & patronages: CHF 14'000.–
    • Other revenues: CHF 1000.–
    • Total: CHF 148'000.–

    ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​All figures rounded to CHF 1000.–

    Where do donations go?

    All donations from private individuals or companies to Zurich Zoo or our conservation projects go entirely to the construction of new animal facilities or to the corresponding conservation projects. We do not use them to finance operating costs.