The Pantanal at Zoo Zurich provides an insight into the varied wildlife in the wetland area of the same name in South America, one of the largest and most diverse of its kind. A particular highlight of our Pantanal is Monkey Island, open from spring to autumn. Here it is possible to experience squirrel monkeys right up close.
The Pantanal is home to a variety of mammals and birds.
- Capybara (Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris)
- Giant anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla)
- Golden-bellied capuchin (Cebus xanthosternos)
- South American tapir (Tapirus terrestris)
- Squirrel monkey (Saimiri boliviensis boliviensis)
- Black-necked swan (Cygnus melancoryphus)
- Chilean flamingo (Phoenicopterus chilensis)
- Chiloé wigeon (Anas Sibilatrix)
- Cinnamon teal (Anas cyanoptera)
- Green-winged macaw (Ara chloroptera)
- Rosy-billed pochard (Netta peposaca)
- South American comb duck (Sarkidiornis melanotos carunculatus)
- Southern screamer (Chauna torquata)
Out of the above, the following species are part of international breeding programs: South American tapir, golden-bellied capuchin, giant anteater and squirrel monkey.
Find information on all these animal species in our animal lexicon:
Find out what a golden-bellied capuchin sounds like:
Water is the most prominent element of the Pantanal at Zoo Zurich. Visitors walk along the water and across the ponds, in which they can watch tapirs swim and capybaras dive. Between the water landscapes, the endangered golden-bellied capuchins and squirrel monkeys frolic around on three islands. The monkey island in the center of the enclosure measures 230 square meters. Visitors are occasionally allowed to access it under supervision. This allows them to encounter the squirrel monkeys particularly closely.
Zoo Zurich supports the natural behavior of the animals in the Pantanal, as in all other enclosures. Rocks and trunks encourage climbing, while rock crevices and sheltered hideaways allow the animals to rest. The anteater finds his food in a termite mound, and the monkeys and red-footed tortoises get to sunbathe on warm days thanks to various exposed places to lie.
Videos out of Zoo Zurich's Pantanal (Youtube-Playlist).